By Shannon Hamilton
Welcome to Fall!
The Autumn Equinox occurs on September 22, 2022 at 8:03pm CDT and marks the time when the sun shines directly on the equator and both the north and south hemispheres get the same amount of rays. This conjures images of balance and at the time corresponds astrologically when Libra moves into the Sun.
The Autumn Equinox is a harvest celebration known as Mabon and recognized by the Druids as Alban Elfed (pronounced “elved” and means the Light of Autumn.)
Outwardly this is the time to celebrate, give thanks, and honor the Great Earth Mother and all the gifts she has given that nourish life as she moves into a more resting state. Inwardly it’s time to acknowledge our activity of living our own journey and purpose, see how we have done so over the past year and honor what we are reaping and all we have accomplished in our lives.
As we are balancing the light and dark, life and death, inner and outer we are turning away from the light into the darkness and inward to honor our harvest.
Tiny ways to honor the Equinox
Because this is a time that calls us into balance, I like to spend equal time in the morning (light) and again in the evening (dark) with some questions (If I have time I will pull some cards or journal or just contemplate):
- How am I honoring and balancing my inner and outer reality?
- Am I giving and receiving?
- Am I speaking and listening?
- Am I being active and being restful?
- Am I making decisions and being creative?
Here are some allies that help me shift my conscious awareness into a greater level of gratitude, prosperity and abundance:
- Within nature I can honor, eat, smell, or create with apples, cinnamon, frankincense, rosemary, poppies and more
- Some stones and crystals I like to carry or wear are calcite, opal, and turquoise
- Speaking or writing down affirmations such as “I Am Living the Light of Abundance”, “I am Creating from the Light of Constant Flow”, “I Am Abundance”, or “I Am Grateful”
- Lighting a candle, giving thanks, and speaking gratitude for all that I am and all that I have
- Acknowledging personal growth cycle and asking for harmony and balance to be the fertilizer in the soil of my life’s garden
- Donate food to a local drive or shelter or do something special for someone less fortunate than you
However you choose to honor Alban Elfed, may you be flowing with blessings and abundance of the season.